What Is An XXL Dishwasher? – (And How Much Bigger Is It?)
You may have heard the term XXL dishwasher, extra height dishwasher, or even extra large dishwasher, but what does it really mean?
In this post, I’ll explain what an XXL dishwasher is, its pros and cons and give some of my top picks!
Let’s get into it!
[Kitchinsider is supported by its audience through affiliate links. If you purchase through these links you won’t pay a penny more but I’ll make a small commission, which helps keep the website going. Thanks!]
Here’s how I recommend products.
What Is An XXL Dishwasher?
As the name suggests, an XXL dishwasher is a slightly larger dishwasher model that is slightly taller than standard models.
Typically, a standard integrated dishwasher is approximately 82cm in height, whereas an XXL model is a little bit taller at approximately 85-87cm. Not much more I know, but hey, it’s something!
To the best of my knowledge, XXL dishwashers are only designed as integrated or built-in models. Because more and more modern kitchens are being designed with taller cabinets and slightly higher countertops. The need for a taller dishwasher model to maximise these new dimensions has come about.
This extra height doesn’t mean you’re dealing with a bulky monster, far from it. In fact, XXL dishwashers still maintain the same width and depth dimensions as their standard counterparts. What they bring to the table is added vertical space, a feature that is particularly useful when you want to wash larger items.
So, where does this extra space come in handy? If you’ve ever tried to cram in a large dinner plate or an oddly-shaped pot into your dishwasher, you’ll know the struggle. The additional vertical space means there’s plenty of room to place large plates, pots, and pans in the lower basket much more easily.
Despite the extra height, it’s important to note that the rated capacity of an XXL dishwasher is not automatically increased. What this means is that while you have more space to accommodate larger items, the number of place settings the machine can handle remains more or less the same as a standard dishwasher.
If you’re shopping for a new dishwasher, you might notice that some manufacturers offer both XXL and standard models. To differentiate between them, the model name of the larger device typically carries the suffix “XXL”, “Tall” or “Extra Height”.
You May Also Like
What Is A Zeolith Dishwasher? – (And Is It Any Good?)
The Advantages of an XXL Dishwasher
- Accommodates Larger Items: One of the main benefits of an XXL dishwasher is its ability to handle slightly larger dishes, pots, and pans. This is due to that little bit of extra height provided, compared to standard dishwashers. This can eliminate the need for hand washing larger items, saving time and effort.
- Ideal for High Countertops: If you have a kitchen with a high countertop, an XXL dishwasher can fit perfectly underneath it. The adjustable legs allow the dishwasher to reach an installation height of up to 92 cm (depending on the model). This seamless integration helps maintain a uniform look in your kitchen while also utilizing the space effectively.
- Energy Efficient: Despite their larger size, XXL dishwashers can be just as energy-efficient as standard models. They run full loads, which is more energy-efficient than running multiple loads in a smaller dishwasher. Plus, you’re washing larger items that would typically require hand washing – which is often less energy-efficient.
- Flexibility: The extra height of an XXL dishwasher offers increased flexibility. It provides an opportunity to adjust the internal racks and accommodate different sizes of crockery and cookware. For instance, you can make room for large casserole dishes in the lower basket or move things around to fit tall wine glasses in the top.
The Disadvantages of an XXL Dishwasher
- Limited Increase in Capacity: Despite the added height, an XXL dishwasher doesn’t necessarily increase the number of standard place settings it can accommodate. It primarily provides extra space for larger items, which might not benefit those who primarily use standard-sized dishware and are looking for increased capacity.
- May Not Fit All Kitchens: While the extra height is beneficial for higher countertops and taller cabinets, it could pose an issue for kitchens with standard or lower-height countertops. It’s crucial to measure the space where the dishwasher will be installed to ensure it fits seamlessly.
- Potentially Higher Costs: Generally, XXL dishwashers may be more expensive than their standard counterparts. The higher cost is often due to the niche market they cater to. It’s important to consider whether the benefits outweigh the cost in your particular situation.
- Availability: As the XXL dishwasher is a relatively niche concept and product, there are fewer models to choose from. Because of this, these particular models might not be as readily available as standard dishwashers. Check stock and availability well in advance!
Best XXL Dishwashers
There’s not a huge choice when it comes to XXL dishwashers, however, these three models are ones that I’ve used in lots of projects over the years and are my go-to for any kitchen design that calls for an extra tall dishwasher.
Bosch Series 4 SBH4HVX31G Extra Height Dishwasher
- Dimensions: H86.5 x W59.8 x D55 cm, suitable for most kitchen layouts.
- Noise Level: Operates at a noise level of 46dB, ensuring a quiet operation.
- Capacity: With a capacity of 13 place settings, it’s perfect for medium-sized households.
- SpeedPerfect+: Reduces wash times by up to 50% for quick and efficient dishwashing.
- Home Connect App: This enables you to start the dishwasher programme using your smartphone.
- Heat Exchanger Drying System: Uses heat created during the wash to dry dishes, reducing the need for manual drying.
Bosch has always been a popular choice of mine when it comes to any wet appliances. And the SBH4HVX31G integrated dishwasher is another great example that perfectly combines utility with smart design.
Its capacity to hold up to 13 place settings makes it an ideal companion for medium-sized households. With its SpeedPerfect+ feature, you can cut down wash times by a significant 50%, making sure your dishes come out sparkling clean in no time.
This dishwasher’s innovative use of the heat generated during the wash to dry your dishes ensures you don’t have to manually dry them before serving. With its compatibility with the Home Connect app, you can control your dishwasher from your smartphone, adding a layer of convenience to your busy life.
It’s at the starting price range of my little list but honestly, It’s a really great pick! Besides, Bosch, NEFF and Siemens are all made by the same company anyway!
NEFF N50 S295HCX26G Extra Height Dishwasher
- Dimensions: H86.5 x W59.8 x D55 cm, making it an easy fit for most kitchen layouts.
- Noise Level: Works quietly at a noise level of 46dB.
- Capacity: With the ability to accommodate 14 place settings, it’s an ideal fit for medium-sized households.
- Chef 70°C Programme: Uses hotter water to dislodge stubborn food stains, making it perfect for cleaning heavily soiled cookware.
- Residual Heat Technology: Efficiently recycles energy generated during the wash to dry dishes, making it an energy and cost-efficient model.
- HomeConnect WiFi: Allows you to control the dishwasher’s programme using your smartphone.
I can’t tell you how many of these Neff S295HCX26G XXL integrated dishwashers (or its older version/model) I’ve sold and used in projects over the years. It’s been my go-to for any projects that needed an XXL model.
With a capacity to hold up to 14 place settings, it’s tailor-made for medium to large-sized households. Its innovative Chef 70°C programme uses elevated temperatures to dissolve stubborn food splatters – making it a perfect solution for cleaning lasagne trays and casserole pots.
The exclusive Power Zone feature ensures a thorough and intense cleaning by amplifying the water pressure, while the dishwasher’s unique use of residual heat technology efficiently recycles energy to dry dishes, thus promising efficiency and saving you money.
This latest version now includes HomeConnect WiFi connectivity, letting you control your dishwasher from your smartphone, no matter where you are. If you’re into that sort of thing.
Miele G7165SCVi XXL Dishwasher
- Dimensions: The ‘XXL’ in its name stands for its extra tall size, making it a perfect fit under higher countertops.
- Noise Level: Works quietly at a maximum noise level of 43dB, reducing noise pollution in your kitchen.
- Capacity: Boasts a capacity of 14 place settings, making it ideal for medium-sized households.
- Automatic Detergent Dosing: Automatically doses the right amount of detergent to ensure spotless dishes and efficient utilization.
- Freshwater Tech: Eco-friendly feature that minimizes water usage, conserving natural resources and reducing utility bills.
- Auto Open Door: A unique feature that automatically opens the door at the end of the programme for fresh air drying. This means less manual drying and reduced energy consumption.
- Tested for Longevity: Miele’s rigorous testing process simulates the equivalent of 20 years’ use, guaranteeing durable and reliable performance.
As I always say, I’m a huge fan of Miele, and the G7165SCVi XXL integrated dishwasher is no exception. This model stands out with its ability to hold up to 14 place settings, offering ample space for all your cutlery and crockery. One of its remarkable features is the automatic detergent dosing system, which ensures just the right amount of detergent is used for each wash, leading to sparkling results.
A key element of its design is the Freshwater technology that aims to minimize water usage, making this model an eco-friendly choice. With a door that automatically opens for air drying at the end of the cycle, this dishwasher not only guarantees dry dishes but also reduces energy consumption. And you can rest easy with Miele’s rigorous testing standards as this model has been tested for the equivalent of 20 years’ use, promising long-term reliability.
Yes, it’s more expensive than the other XXL dishwashers on my list, but it’s Miele, it’s great!
Do XXL Dishwashers Cost More?
As with many things in life, size does often equate to cost when it comes to dishwashers.
On average, you can expect XXL dishwashers to come with a slightly higher price tag compared to their standard counterparts. Typically £50-£150 more.
This is usually because the supply and demand for XXL dishwashers is less than standard sizes. Which puts a premium on the price tag. Maybe a little bit of extra material cost, but I doubt it.
It’s also worth noting that prices can vary widely depending on the brand, features, and overall quality of the dishwasher. Therefore, it’s important to thoroughly research and compare different models before making a final purchasing decision.
You May Also Like
The 7 Best Integrated Dishwashers With A Cutlery Tray
Are XXL Dishwashers Worth It?
It really depends on your particular unique circumstances and kitchen design, if 1) you can fit an XXL dishwasher and 2) it is right for you.
For the vast majority of people, a standard dishwasher will be absolutely perfect, however, if you’ve got a taller countertop and a little bit more room in your kitchen design, then why not go for an XXL dishwasher!?
An XXL dishwasher isn’t just about extra space. Although it definitely helps! It’s about convenience, efficiency, and flexibility, tailored to match the evolving needs of modern kitchens. Whether your cabinets are a bit taller, you have higher countertops, or simply need a little bit more room for your larger dishes, an XXL dishwasher is designed to make your life easier.
There you have it! Everything you need to know about XXL dishwashers.
While they may not give an enormous amount of extra room, an XXL or extra height dishwasher does give you that little bit of extra washing space, particularly helpful for those large dinner plates.
However, what they are really for, is to cater for those kitchen designs that use taller cabinets or have a generally higher countertop height. An XXL dishwasher will optimise the space available while still fitting in perfectly with the rest of your kitchen cabinets.
So, will you go for an XXL dishwasher?
- Venting Hob Installation Info – Everything You Need To Know
- Cooker Hood Dimensions & Installation Factors – A Complete Guide
- Undermount vs Drop-In Sink – Which Is Best For Your Kitchen?
Michael is a kitchen designer from the UK. He's been designing and project managing new kitchen installations for over 10 years. Before that, he was an electrician and part of a team that fitted kitchens. He created Kitchinsider in early 2019 to help give people advice when it comes to getting a new kitchen.