Kitschy Kitchen Design – How To Get This Trending Eccentric Look
As a kitchen designer, I like to keep an eye on the latest trends. So when I saw kitschy kitchen design (kitschens) was on Pinterest’s trending list for 2024 I was very intrigued!
The term ‘kitschy kitchen’ has seen a +75% rise and ‘eccentric kitchen’ a whopping +160%.
Naturally, I had to investigate! 🕵️♂️
In this post, I’ll explain what a kitschy kitchen is, what it involves and how you can get the look for your own kitchen design.
Let’s get into it!
You May Also Like
Ultimate Kitchen Styles Guide – How To Find Your Look
In a hurry? Here’s my key takeaway:
🌸 Designing a kitschy kitchen (kitschen) is an opportunity to play with colours, patterns, and eras to create a space that’s uniquely yours. It’s about blending the old with the new, the classic with the quirky, and most importantly, having fun with the design process! 😃
Read on to learn more…
What is a kitschy kitchen?
Kitschy kitchen design is a colourful, eclectic style that often incorporates retro or vintage elements, bold patterns, and quirky decor.
The term “kitsch” originally referred to art and objects considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but which nevertheless have a certain appeal or value to some people.
In kitchen design, however, “kitschy” is embraced with a sense of affection and nostalgia.
Kitschen design celebrates the joy of imperfection and the beauty of embracing your individual style.
Whether you’re drawn to the charm of the 1950s diner look, the groovy vibe of the 1970s, or a mishmash of decades, a kitschy kitchen is all about making a space that’s fun and a reflection of you.
How to design a kitschy kitchen
Designing a kitschy kitchen is an adventurous endeavour that allows you to mix and match elements to create a space that can be fun and functional.
Here’s how to bring the kitschy aesthetic into your kitchen:
Patterns are a cornerstone of kitschy kitchen design, infusing the space with visual interest and a sense of playfulness. They serve not only as a backdrop but also as a dynamic component that brings the kitchen to life.
- Wallpapers: Opting for vintage or retro-patterned wallpaper can instantly transform your kitchen walls into an eye-catching feature. Consider designs that echo the past, such as floral, fruit-themed, or geometric patterns reminiscent of the 50s, 60s, or 70s, to create a nostalgic vibe.
- Tiles and Backsplashes: For those who might lean towards a subtler incorporation of patterns, a patterned backsplash can offer the perfect solution. Tiles with geometric shapes, classic diner motifs, or mid-century modern designs can add depth and interest without overwhelming the space.
- Floor Patterns: The floor presents another opportunity to incorporate patterns into a kitschy kitchen design. Polka dots, checkerboard patterns, or even retro linoleum flooring can ground the space with a fun and distinctive look.
- Textiles and Accessories: Don’t forget about the smaller details, such as curtains, tablecloths, and even upholstered seating. Textiles with vintage prints or patterns can add a layer of charm and warmth, completing the kitschy aesthetic.
Vintage & Retro Elements
Vintage or retro-inspired appliances, such as pastel-coloured fridges or classic stoves, are a hallmark of kitschy design. Bringing with them a wave of nostalgia and a whimsical flair.
- Vintage and Retro-Inspired Appliances: Modern appliances with retro designs offer the perfect blend of form and function, combining the aesthetic appeal of past eras with today’s technology. Consider a mint green fridge, a vintage-style mixer in a vibrant hue, or a toaster with a chrome finish to infuse your kitchen with a sense of retro charm.
- Decor and Furniture: Diner-style booths offer a cosy and unique seating option, reminiscent of classic American diners. Formica countertops, with their glossy finish and durability, evoke mid-century modern vibes. Neon signs, whether vintage originals or new pieces inspired by retro designs, add a bright and playful touch to the space.
You May Also Like
Art Deco Kitchen Design Ideas & How To Get The Look
A kitschy kitchen thrives on a maximalist aesthetic, where more is more, and every inch is an opportunity to express personal style. This approach is characterized by a deliberate layering of objects, colours, and textures, creating a space that is rich in stories and visual appeal.
- Showcasing Personality and Memories: The essence of a maximalist kitschy kitchen lies in its ability to reflect your personality, interests, and memories. From colourful dishware and vintage finds to quirky collectables, each piece tells a part of your story.
- Creating a Rich and Eclectic Environment: The goal of a maximalist outlook is not merely to fill space but to curate it in a way that each object contributes to a cohesive yet eclectic aesthetic. The interplay of different colours, patterns, and textures should energize the space.
Bright and bold colours are essential elements in a kitschy kitchen, giving it a lively and inviting atmosphere. The strategic use of colour can transform the kitchen from a mere functional space into a vibrant hub of joy and creativity.
I think a perfect example is the Great British Bake Off kitchen!
- Cabinetry and Walls: Embracing bold colours like turquoise, cherry red, or sunny yellow for your cabinets can instantly uplift the mood of the space. Alternatively, choosing to keep the walls in a neutral shade allows the colourful cabinets to stand out.
- Countertops and Islands: Opting for retro laminate countertops in bright colours or patterns can add another layer of visual interest. A brightly coloured kitchen island, such as a sunny yellow or vivid turquoise, can serve as the centrepiece of the space, drawing the eye and anchoring the room’s overall design.
Art & Accessories
These elements, ranging from quirky art to colourful collectables and vintage signs, infuse the space with layers of personality, nostalgia, and fun, making the kitchen not just a place for culinary endeavours but a showcase of individual style and memories.
- Quirky Art and Vintage Signs: Incorporating quirky art pieces, vintage signs, and retro-inspired artworks into the kitchen decor adds charm and character. Whether it’s a classic diner sign, a framed 1950s food advertisement, or a piece of wall art featuring iconic retro characters, each adds a unique touch that personalizes the space.
- Novelty Items and Colourful Collectibles: Novelty items, such as neon signs with fun sayings or unique kitchen gadgets, and colourful collectables, like vintage cookie jars or nostalgic salt and pepper shakers, further enhance the kitschy vibe.
- Personal Expression: Above all, the art and accessories in a kitschy kitchen are a form of personal expression. They tell the story of the people who live there, showcasing their tastes, experiences, and the things they love.
You May Also Like
Boho Kitchen Design – Ideas, Advice & Inspiration
Mix Of Design Styles
A kitschy kitchen is a celebration of eclecticism, seamlessly blending textures, time periods and design styles to create a uniquely intriguing space. This deliberate mix not only adds interest but also reflects a broad appreciation for design as an expression of personal taste and creativity.
- Eclectic Harmony: The essence of mixing design styles in a kitschy kitchen lies in the harmonious contrast it creates. Modern gadgets may find their place alongside antique market treasures, each with its own story, contributing to the kitchen’s layered narrative.
- Combining Furniture and Decor: Imagine mid-century modern chairs pulled up to a rustic farmhouse table, creating a dining area that’s as stylish as it is welcoming. Modern minimalist shelving could display a collection of Art Deco accessories, bridging the gap between different design eras.
- Personal and Playful: The mix of design styles in a kitschy kitchen is ultimately a reflection of your personality and playful approach to design. It’s about creating a space that feels authentic, where every piece has a place.
Is Kitschy Kitchen Design Trending in 2024?
Yes, kitschy kitchen design is indeed trending in 2024.
According to Pinterest’s trend predictions for the year, kitschy kitchens (kitschens) are expected to dominate, particularly among Gen X and boomers.
This movement suggests a shift away from minimalist decor. Embracing more colourful, quirky, and retro-inspired kitchen designs that reflect personal tastes and memories
Personally, not one for me 😂 but if you love it, go for it!
- 12 Design Tricks To Make A Small Kitchen Look & Feel Bigger
- Kitschy Kitchen Design – How To Get This Trending Eccentric Look
- Kitchen Design Trends 2024 – 8 Design Elements To Look Out For
Michael is a kitchen designer from the UK. He's been designing and project managing new kitchen installations for over 10 years. Before that, he was an electrician and part of a team that fitted kitchens. He created Kitchinsider in early 2019 to help give people advice when it comes to getting a new kitchen.